Qualifications for the YMCA's Diabetes Prevention Program
- OPERS pre-Medicare retirees and dependents enrolled in the OPERS Medical Mutual Plan.
- A Body mass index of 25 or higher* (which is based on your height and weight).
- Hemogloban A1c level between 5.7-6.4%, or Fasting Plasma Glucose between 100-125 mg/dL, or a 2-hour (75 gm glucola) Plasma Glucose between 140-199 mg/dL.
- Age (must be 18 or older).
- Females - history of gestational diabetes (meaning you developed diabetes when you were pregnant).
- Reside in Ohio.
*Asian individual(s) BMI 22 or higher
About the YMCA's Diabetes Prevention Program
- If you are at risk for type 2 diabetes, the YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program provides a supportive environment where you can work with others in a small group setting to learn how to adopt healthy habits to reduce your chances of developing the disease.
- The YMCA's Diabetes Prevention Program offers scientifically proven and effective lifestyle change programs that can help you prevent or delay type 2 diabetes.
- The program can show you how to make better food choices, be more physically active, and find helpful ways to cope with problems and stress.
- You'll work with a trained lifestyle coach and a small group of people who are all working towards the same goal.
- It’ll last for 1 year (including meetings about once per week in the first 6 months).
- Program must be done in person.
- This is a proven program to motivate and support people with prediabetes to make practical, real-life changes, and cut their risk of developing type 2 diabetes by more than half. That's kind of big news.
- The dozens of YMCAs in Ohio that offer these programs are focused on one thing only — positive results.
Would I qualify for the YMCA's Diabetes Prevention Program?
There are several ways to qualify for the program. Blood glucose levels including A1C or fasting glucose or you may qualify based on results from the online risk test. It also can be based on your body mass index (which is based on your height and weight), your blood sugar levels (blood test), your age (must be 18 or older), and if you have a history of gestational diabetes (meaning you developed diabetes when you were pregnant). You may also qualify based on results from the online risk test. Just one more reason to take it!
Is there an out-of-pocket cost for the YMCA's Diabetes Prevention Program?
OPERS is pleased to offer the YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program to our pre-Medicare retirees and dependents enrolled in the OPERS Medical Mutual Plan. This program is available at no cost to our Medical Mutual participants and available at local Ohio YMCAs. If you have questions, please call Medical Mutual at 1-877-520-6728.
- YMCA of Central Ohio (Medicare DPP provider)
- YMCA of Central Stark County (Medicare DPP provider)
- YMCA of Greater Dayton (Medicare DPP provider)
- YMCA of Greater Cleveland (Medicare DPP provider)
- Great Miami Valley YMCA
- Lake County YMCA
- YMCA of Mansfield
- YMCA of Greater Toledo
- YMCA of Wooster
- YMCA of Youngstown
- Lima YMCA
Do I have Prediabetes?
Answer these seven simple questions to find our your risk for prediabetes.
Questions about the YMCA Diabetes Prevention Program?
Ready to Register?
Find a location and complete the registration form to preregister for a YMCA's Diabetes Prevention Program class.